Monday, May 7, 2012

When Mom was creating the last post, it reminded her of her earliest Easter memory & I wanted her to tell the story.  This picture above could possibly be from the same Easter day she remembers. She remembers wearing this or a similar outfit & everyone being dressed up.  (The picture above is at Memorial Park in El Paso, not far from where they lived. From left to right: Mary, Bud, Nona, Wam & Irby standing in front of Irby's car with a "rumble seat". John is taking the picture. This is probably 1927, as Bud was about 1 year old & Mary was 3.)

"On Easter morning, we got up & got dressed to go to Sunday School.  But before we went to Sunday School, we went out in the desert, not far from our home, where the mesquite bushes were just getting their foliage.  Everything was clean & fresh like it had rained during the night. The sand was damp.  My Daddy parked the car & he said, "Just a minute, I have to go check." He got out of the car, the rest of us stayed. When he returned, he helped me out of the car & there on the ground was a line drawn in the fresh sand.  Daddy said, "I bet if you follow that you will see where the Easter Bunny has been."  So I got my Easter basket & took Daddy's hand & we went off down through the sandy wash, following the line.  Sure enough, every once in a while, it led to where an Easter egg had been dropped!  It was really exciting."

 This is Momma holding Bud & me standing at her side, somewhere around El Paso. (Early 1927)
 This is on our trip to Burbank, to visit Aunt Josie (Ruebush) Glenn & her family. Bud is the baby, then there is my cousin Tom Glenn & me in front of their home.
 This is a sad, but true story of why you should not give little children live chicks.  They sat us down for a picture, gave us each a cute little day-old yellow chick to pose with & snapped the shot.  Bud's chick did not make it.  This is also in front of Aunt Josie & Uncle Ernest's home.
This is me & my Daddy on the porch of the Erie (now Murchison) Street house where we lived when Bud was born.  All these pictures were taken around the time of the Easter Egg hunt.  Hope you all have fun Easter memories, too!  Love, Mom/Grandma Mary

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog!!! You are so sweet, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother was Josie Glenn, My dad was Tom Glenn. I would love to make contact with you. Bob
    bobglenn2002@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete